Nomination News: OK, So Where Were We?
- Trois-Rivières, QC - At least five candidates are considering running for the Liberal nomination in this riding located halfway between Montréal and Québec City, according to l'Hebdo Journal. The riding is presently held by three-term Bloc Québécois M.P. Paule Brunelle, who bested the third-place Liberal candidate 24-year old Marcos Simard by some 27.1 percentage points in 2008.
- Longueuil – Pierre-Boucher, QC - A young Liberal, Jonathan Pedneault, has kicked off his nomination campaign to run in this south shore riding the way many young people do these days: on Facebook. The seat was won by first-time Bloc Québécois M.P. Jean Dorion in 2008, following the resignation of former four-term Bloc M.P. Caroline St-Hilaire (who is now planning a run for Mayor of Longueuil).
- Hochelaga, QC - Persistent rumours that six-term Bloc Québécois M.P. Réal Ménard may also step down to run municipally in Montréal have New Democrats Babble'ing about their 2008 candidate Jean-Claude Rocheleau and readying themselves to fight a possible by-election in this top quintile Québec riding for them.
- Saint-Laurent – Cartierville, QC - Long-time Liberal M.P. and former party leader Stéphane Dion is said to be ready to run again, according to a Canadian Press story in advance of the Liberal Convention, and this Vincent Marissal story from Vancouver in La Presse. Marissal reports that Dion turned down a job offer as vice-rector of his former employer, l'Université de Montréal, in order to run once again.
- Laval – Les Îles, QC - Another long-time Liberal M.P. planning to run again according to Marissal is Raymonde Folco, in spite of an "enormous debt" (said to be around $57K) in that Liberal riding association. Never a big campaign spender, Folco was massively outspent by her new Conservative opponent (and former aide), Agop Evereklian, in 2008. Her riding association's 2007 Financial Statements show liabilities of just under $57K and assets of $13,500 in cash, with about $3,600 in donations for the year. Note that 2008 riding ("electoral district association" or EDA) statements are not due until the end of this month.
- Oak Ridges – Markham, ON - Another Liberal Facebook page, this time for three-term Markham councillor and former Liberal riding president, Khalid Usman, who is running for his party's nomination in this 905 North riding. First-time Conservative M.P. Paul Calandra won the seat in 2008 by narrowly defeating former two-term Liberal M.P. Lui Temelkovski in a 545 vote squeaker (or 1.5 votes per poll). No word whether Mr. Temelkovski plans to run for the Liberal nomination again himself.
- Haldimand – Norfolk, ON - The Globe and Mail's Jane Taber reported from the convention that Bob Speller is one of a group of former Liberal M.P.s who attended either having decided to or strongly considering running again (along with Omar Alghabra, already reported here). Speller served several terms in this riding, both in opposition and government, but lost to three-term Conservative M.P. Diane Finley in 2004. He tried unsuccessfully to regain the seat in 2006, but did not run in 2008.
- Churchill, MB - Another former Liberal M.P. in Taber's story said to be considering a run is Tina Keeper. She won this northern Manitoba riding with very strong support in 2006 over former NDP-turned-Independent M.P. Bev Desjarlais, who ran alongside the new nominee of her party, Nikki Ashton, splitting the historic NDP vote. Ashton returned in 2008 to defeat Keeper, with the riding reverting to its traditional (very low) turnout levels.
- North Vancouver, BC - Convention scuttlebutt also has former Liberal M.P. Don Bell looking to reclaim his federal seat after failing to win the provincial B.C. Liberal nomination for part of his former riding, a reader writes to say. Bell lost to first-time Conservative M.P. Andrew Saxton last time out in a riding that has seen two-way fights with narrow margins in each of the last three elections.
- British Columbia Southern Interior, BC - 2008 Conservative candidate Robert Zandee is preparing to launch a nomination campaign to win the right to carry his party's colours in the next campaign. The riding is currently held by two-term NDP M.P. Alex Atamanenko.
If you have nomination news from your neck of the woods ... why not stick your neck out and share with Pundits' Guide readers, by dropping me a line?